Stop.Turn.Walk

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Spiritual Food

I am starving for some spiritual food. May Hoong said that I should start fasting, which I admittedly thought was not very effective. However, I ripped this from Craig Groeschel at this place.

What Keeps My Passion Alive

I am as susceptible to spiritual droughts as the next pastor. Because I know my vulnerabilities, I work hard to keep my passion alive. 

Here are a few things I try to revisit:
  • See God working in another part of the world. God is so much bigger than what we see week in and week out in our churches. 
  • Visit an impoverished place at least once a year. Some moms choose what to feed their children. Some moms have to choose which children to feed. Putting yourself in a place that crushes your heart keeps the passion alive.
  • Fasting. I don't know why fasting works, but it does.
  • Develop friendships with non-Christians. Caring about people far from God helps keep me closer to God.
  • Devoted time to prayer. If I don't spend time with my wife away from all the other pleasures, it is hard for us to stay close. My relationship with God is the same. If I don't spend time with Him, how can i know Him?
  • Give extravagantly. Something about giving big breaks the grip of this world and connects me closer to God.
  • Cry. For a number of years, I didn't cry. I'm not sure I could cry. By God's grace, I broke through it and can cry easily now.
  • Visit a cemetery. Seeing today in light of eternity always changes me. 
I should start fasting. It's something mystical about fasting that works wonders but you just can't explain how and why it works. Like, we cant explain how and why wind forms or blows, but we know it exists. Crying works in the same way :) Being a crybaby, I can vouch for that. 

And, I really, really would want to go visit a cemetery soon. Anyone wants to go with me? Jasmine, Xiang, Gerald???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home