Stop.Turn.Walk

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Where love came alive

i must say i have a rather interesting family..and i wouldnt swop my family for anything in the world..just last sunday, i witnessed another tiny little drama that happened, something which i wouldnt forget for life..

my dearest grandmother had 12 children..due to the lack of finances at that point in time, two of her sons died, while she and my grandfather were forced to give two other sons..way before i was born, one of those sons who was given away was somehow found, and reunited with the whole family..so for the whole of my 21 years of life, i had always known of just 5 uncles and 3 aunties on my father's side..

well on sunday, i gained a new uncle..somehow, my dad and my aunt managed to trace back to where their youngest brother used to live..somehow they managed to speak to people who knew about him, and somehow they managed to get his number and contacted him..and somehow, he decided that he wanted to come back and reunite with his biological mother..

and so, the entire population on my father's side managed to squeeze themselves into my house on sunday, awaiting the arrival of that long lost younger brother..and my grandma was dressed to the finest, trying to remain calm yet failing to keep the anxiousness and excitement off her face..

what would my youngest uncle say when he sees my grandma? will there be tears of joy or tears of anger? would he not be able to get along with the rest of my uncles and aunties? can my grandma withstand the flood of emotions that were sure to follow upon setting her sights on him?

and so, the hour of truth finally came..my uncle, all 48 years of age, walked through my front door, and set his first sight on his biological mother..a round of introductions followed, which took quite a while considering the size of my family..my new uncle was alive, healthy and happy..his wife, my new auntie, was gorgeous and did not look anything like her 40 plus years of age..he had a twelve year old son, who did now come due to exams..and my grandmother, was beyond happy..

she couldnt take her eyes off him..she just kept wanting to talk to him..even when he left, she lingered at the gate and kept repeating "do come again! do come again!"..i wonder how she must have felt..the sadness of giving away your own son, never being able to acknowledge him..i wonder if she felt anger, regret, sadness upon giving him away..and now after almost half a century later, her son came back..

the joy on her face was priceless.

i learnt abt god in church that day..i sang to god in worship..

but i saw god in the eyes of my grandmother..when a long lost child comes back to Him, how his eyes shine and sparkle with tears, how he will just keep talking to the child, how he will stand at the gate and says over and over again "do come again! do come again!"..

i guess, i caught a glimpse of how God really feels when his prodigal son comes running back to him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home